Wednesday 28 May 2014

Normal! What does your version of "normal" look like?

"You can lead a perfectly normal life with diabetes!" said the nurse in 1993.

I don't know why I've been remembering this part of my diagnosis story. Better out than it.

I think my reply was a form on a blank stare. My life was going to include syringes, gadgets known as glucometers and vials of insulin. I was not going to be able to leave the house without any of this plus I had to keep healthy food on my person at all times in case I got delayed any where and a pure glucose supply in case my blood sugars dropped suddenly.

I wanted to know if she thought this was normal because this certainly wasn't my version of it!

I think what she meant was that while diabetes would be in my mind all the time and have to be planned for and considered, it would never stop me from achieving all the things I wanted to achieve and then some.

I kinda get it now, but at the time I thought she was a "fruitcake"!

No comments:

Post a Comment