Wednesday 21 January 2015

My world doesn't fall apart at 2.8 mmols

It might be hot and sweaty, but also calm and rational.

Sometimes, you can function very well when you're having a hypo and other times not. That's why whenever I wonder, I check.

On this occasion, I checked my blood glucose levels because I felt hot and sweaty and a little bit "off"! But mostly, I checked because it was two hours after my breakfast bolus of insulin and so it was my post-meal check.

Low and behold, the glucose meter registered a 2.8 mmols/l (50 mg/dl). What I wouldn't give for a CGM to give me a little warning! I quickly gobbled 5 glucose sweets and continued with my trolley of groceries to my car.


No, I'm not joking! I was able to take my weekly shopping through the checkout, pay and pack them AND I'm fairly confident that I did it without arousing suspicion. I say "fairly confident" because I didn't have any witnesses to consult after the event. 

Sometimes, my 4.0's mmols/l (72 mg/dl) feel like a 2.8 mmol/l. And sometimes my 2.8 mmol/l feels like a 5 mmol/l (110 mg/dl).

One of the frustrations of life with type 1 diabetes and one of the reasons you can NEVER relax! 

No comments:

Post a Comment